Does your child seem to have difficulties with reading, attention, headaches or light sensitivities? These symptoms and more could be a sign of Perception difficulties.
The Irlen method could help and is now available at bibic.
What is Irlen syndrome?
Irlen Syndrome is a visual perceptual processing disorder that can affect children and adults of all ages. It is a difficulty with the brain’s ability to accurately process visual information. It has been the subject of medical and educational research and is a recognised syndrome with a physiological basis.
Your child may see the web page page like this
Irlen syndrome is undiagnosed because
- It is not identified by standard visual and medical examinations, or educations and psychological assessments
- Sufferers think that the visual perceptual distortions they experiences are “normal”
- Sufferers assume that everyone else perceives the page and the environment as they do
Who can it help:
Up to 12% of the general population have visual stress
Irlen can contribute to learning disabilities; it can support individuals experiencing:
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Headaches, migraines
- Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Dysgraphia, Dyspraxia
- Moderate/severe learning difficulties
- Ease and efficiency of reading
Individuals with Irlen Syndrome have difficulty processing all visual information, not just words on a printed page, so it can cause reading difficulties, light sensitivity, physical symptoms, fatigue. As well as difficulties with depth perception, driving, behaviour, writing and gross motor skills
It can lead to stress, anxiety, low self-esteem and underachievement.
The difficulties that Irlen gives an individual can manifest itself differently for each individual. If left un-helped it can often become a lifetime barrier to learning and performance.
The Irlen Method
The testing and treatment include:
- screening to indicate whether colour will help
- the severity and signposting for filters
- provision of overlays to use
- ongoing advice and support
Benefits of Irlen
- Improvement in reading
- Relief from pain, discomfort
- Relief from headaches and migraine
- Greater confidence
- Better concentration and attention
- Improved performance
- Improved depth perception – i.e. sport, driving
- Increased comfort in bright light
Coloured overlays make the page more comfortable to look at
‘Colour my Eyes’
‘Before I had my colours,
I really scared my mother,
When my eyes were bad, it really made me sad.
The letters would wiggle and jiggle,
Jump and bump,
They looked like they were in a lump.
Then mum took a piece of coloured plastic
And covered the letters.
Then my words would not spin,
When I put the colours on my face,
The words stayed in place.
I am as happy as can be.
When I read with my colours on,
I can see.’
The cost of an Irlen screening session is £200 – this include the screener, a follow up report and 2 overlays.
Extra overlays are priced at £4 per piece.
How to enquire
For more information about Irlen please contact bibic on 01458 253344 or enquire at email@example.com